Tuesday, June 24, 2008

belonging to a group

I have found a very important tool in increasing my creativity. I am sure many already have been using this tool for ages. I have as well. But lately I have been reviwing my creative growth and notice that it is expotentially increased when I have been active in a group of other creative individuals.
When I did craft shows I was in the midst of creative people every week, We shared and comiserated with one another. I was encouraged by them to strive for greater sucess in selling my work.
Then I worked in a craft store. Talk about being exposed to creative people! I learned about products and their usage daily.
Joining on-line groups broadened my crative horizons. I made cyber-friends that shared tips and sucesses. I learned so mucch from them. I was given links to sites of suppliers, artists and tutorials. When sharing photos of my work the "atta-girls" flowed. and constructine suggestions were made.
Being a member of local grous has helped me grow artistically. Ond clue is that I am using the word "artistically". It took me forever to consider my work art. The word still sometimes gets stuck in my throat.
Through membership in the Central New York Doll is Art Guild (www.cnydag.com) my dolls have been featured in galleries and have graced the pages of magazines and local news papers. What a thrill to see that others --professionals think my work is good enough for publication!
I have also joined a local art association (Rome Art Association) Often at the meetings a visiting professional artist will offer critiques of our work.Never having taken formall art classes, these critiques have taught me so much!
I can see in my wrok the influence all these groups have played. Looking at my work from only a few years ago I can see growth in skill and style. I owe much of that to what I have learned from all the people from all the groups that have and are creatively touching my life.

No comments: