Thursday, June 19, 2008

more on critiques








At first I was quite afraid to put my work up to be critiqued. Would they know I was a fraud, and not an artist at all? Would they ask "Whose work is this? What nerve you have calling this art!
I take my dolls in and to myself sing the sesame street song "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong"
The first item I took to be critiqued was one of my red-hat ladies. She is on canvas so I felt she would fit in with all the two dimensional work. I fidgeted in my seat,filled with apprehension as I waited for her to comment on my piece. She commented on the face and then said "The main thing wrong with this piece is----"
My stomach tightened, 'Oh why did I do this?'I fretted. then she finished, "is that you cannot see the back of her." Whew! She made some suggestions and then went on to an other's work. I wanted so to ask her more , what else could I do, how can I make the canvas not so bland.....' But there was no time. I was absolutely flabbergasted when a few days later I answered a phone call and she was on the line to talk to me about my work! She gave me some wonderful suggestions which I plan to implement.

At the next meeting there was the Elderly Fairy standing next to oil paintings, watercolors, pen and ink, colored pencil, anime'-style marker art. Oh dear, there is no flow, no triangle! The artist giving the presentations glances at her over and over and again and again chooses a two-dimensional piece to critique. Finally she picks up the Elderly Fairy. The butterflies in my stomach are flying at a feverish pace. "Oh no she knows I know nothing about art" I think. She looks, smiles, Now I am Sally Fields. "She likes it, she actually likes it!" She even suggests an art gallery I should approach! She points out it's strong points, and makes suggestions on how to improve the weak points.

I know not all critiques will be as positive as these two, but I will continue taking in my work. I have learned so very much. I want to learn more!!!!

No comments: