Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sept 20, 2009

I don't have a theme today. It has just been so long since I have posted that I thought I should post something.
I started my blog with every intention of posting a few times a week, with thoughts, insights or new work. It seeems I get busy with work, and just don't feel like posting. Sometimes I wonder if I have anything of interest anyway. Sometimes I write a "wonderful essay" in my mind. "OH", I think, "This would be great on my blog." But it never makes it out of my mind to my blog.
It seems I have been on a roller coaster of feelings about my "artwork." Is it relevant? Should I continue or should I just clear everything out and sit and watch TV? Then I see a new product or get an idea for a new project and I get that "creative high."
I know I have to create. When I go too long without creating I get very moody and unhappy. It is a drive, a need, to create something. I can't say I am expressing or trying to convey anything. I am just creating because I "have to" and because it gives me joy.
I have a few unfinished pieces right now. No pictures to add to this page, nothing of substance to share. But again I renew my intention to create a blog with current posts, posts that perhaps will be of interest to someone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Alice- you might be experiencing the dreaded "ART SLUMP" as coined by Val. It's a real disorder characterized by confusion, scattered inspiration and occasional despondency in regards to art. But the good news is- the condition is absolutely temporary. It's just your creative muse suggesting a little break.
Glad you're blogging again- I think that is a good outlet.
Your friend and occasional slump sufferer,
Pam

fantasiesfromwithin said...

yes, your art and feelings about creating art are relevant, we all have those self doubts, at least those of us that are honest with our selves...i too struggle with finding meaning and purpose in what i create and often the answer is simply the "NEED" to create, and i've found that is enough, keep sharing your thoughts cause we out in bloggerland are listening in our own way...us artists have to stick together don't you think?

Deborah Thomas said...

I have to agree with the other two comments. I should know, I've been experiencing it for years off and on. I have been into just about every form of "creating art" there is over the years. Mostly, just learning something new to see how it feels. I don't think I have yet found my niche. I am currently trying my hand at dollmaking. I have made a few commercial pattern dolls in the past. But I find doing something everyone can, isn't my idea of being creative. Art dolls intrigue me and once I figure out the construction methods of others designers I want to create a doll of my very own.
I find the process of learning new things much more intriguing than continuing on the process to my own creativity. Maybe that is just a cop out for fearing that my own creations won't hold up the rest of the creators of whatever medium I chose to work in at the moment. The upside is all the crossover techniques that I have learned, can be utilized to make something artsy. Don't worry about the slump, you'll revive and be all that much more excited to create.