Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Labeling my work

On the doll-makers discussion groups I belong to, the question of whether or not to call our work dolls is brought up again and again.
I think of my work as dolls. Why? I am not sure, Perhaps that word has been a step in my journey. I started out making dolls and stuffed animals for my daughters. Then I made baby puppets to sell. Then one of my customers at a craft show asked me to join a doll guild. So I guessed I was a doll-maker. I have joined an art association and have been told by many members that I sculpt and that they do not consider my work dolls.
Oh my how we struggle with labels from crafter to doll-maker to artist or sculptor!
You know what? The pieces I make do not care about a label. Yet sometimes it seems that the viewers want work to be labeled. Does it make a work have different values in their view if I tell them it is art, or sculpture or a doll?
Even the New York State Fair has issues with it. If the item that is submitted does not have arms and legs, a traditional doll form, it cannot be put in the doll category.
So should I conform? Should I change what I call my work? Will it be taken more seriously if I do? (But then look , if you will, at my work. I do not think it is made to be viewed in a serious tone.)
Is the change in terms another step in my creative journey?

9 comments:

Judi W. said...

Put 'em all together .. be an art doll sculptor!

Chaska Peacock said...

I think "doll" is probably a too generic term for what, to me, is more about sculpture. In my own case, mostly "soft sculpture". I always kind of stumble over the word "doll" when describing my work to those outside our immediate art community. Everyone knows a painting can be many, many things...but a doll, in most people's minds, is a toy.

Pepper said...

Art doll sculptor works for me! I usually add "mixed media sculpture" to my description. But DOLL still is perfectly fine for what we do.

Check the Wikipedia definition of dolls, which starts with a doll being "an object that represents a baby or other human being." Wikipedia allows that dolls are traditionally considered toys, but cites a much wider range of purposes.

Carry a little album of photos with you. It's a great conversation piece and spreads the word better than any title can.

Pepper said...

Art doll sculptor works for me! I usually add "mixed media sculpture" to my description. But DOLL still is perfectly fine for what we do.

Check the Wikipedia definition of dolls, which starts with a doll being "an object that represents a baby or other human being." Wikipedia allows that dolls are traditionally considered toys, but cites a much wider range of purposes.

Carry a little album of photos with you. It's a great conversation piece and spreads the word better than any title can.

the troll said...

In my simple mind--if it cannot be interacted with (i.e. arms moved etc) that it a figurative sculpture...I really struggle to make my armitures so they can be positioned..that is what I like. But..on the other hand I can see fetish type figures as dolls simple because they are ment to be handled. Hmmm, I guess if it is meant to just sit there and look pretty than it is not a "doll" per se in my world. Just my opinion though....

Melissa ;-) said...

I share your issue and agree with Judi and Pepper - I call my creations "Mixed Media Art Doll Quilts" as I mount flat dolls (are THEY dolls?) and sometimes 3D dolls on canvas an add embellishment. Who knows? Dolls have had so many configurations over the years, why wouldn't yours be included? And I don't believe all dolls are toys anymore than all toys are dolls (besides if the definition of a toy is something one plays with - I would LOVE to play with one of your doll-toys!).

Sue Farace said...

I recently posted a similar question on my blog about the crafter artist label. I agree with Judi w art doll sculptor. Either way your work is wonderful!

tamdoll said...

This drives me crazy. I usually call things that are non-conventional "Art Dolls" and leave it up to others to interpret what that means.

julie said...

I call my dolls Spirit Figures... mostly because when dealing with galleries, etc. I could see peoples eyes fog over when I used the term doll...I've called them dolls for grown ups and had someone tell me that sounds x rated. However, here in my little community I'm known as the 'doll lady'.